Earlier today, we posted video of Elon Musk, speaking yesterday at the National Clean Energy Summit in Las Vegas. As we mentioned, there was an extremely impressive list of speakers at the conference, and we wanted to highlight a few. Appearing in the video above is Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who gave a powerful speech, welcoming "industry experts, clean energy innovators, academics, public officials and others to Las Vegas for the National Clean Energy Summit 5.0." Here are a few highlights, focused on the advantages of clean energy and the disadvantages of dirty energy.
- "There should be no one in this room who doubts the importance of reducing our reliance on fossil fuels – not only because it's good for the environment, but because it's good for the economy and good for national security."
- "It is easy to see the logic, the urgency and the opportunity of a clean energy revolution."
- "As hard as it is to comprehend, there are still members of Congress resisting clean energy's American success story. And sadly they're doing their best to send clean energy industries and jobs overseas, and hindering the revolution in the process."
- "It's no secret coal plants kill. Each year, more than 24,000 deaths are attributed to emissions from coal-fired power plants in the United States alone."
- "The more dirty coal we use, the higher the price of coal gets. The more solar power we use, the cheaper it gets"
- "...the technology to change course is not futuristic. It's available and affordable today. All we have to do is decide to use it."